Thursday, August 2, 2007

The first post is the hardest

It's hard for me to put myself out there in the world.

I was listening to a podcast of This American Life this morning, the one entitled, "Man vs. History" . Ira & Co. profiled Dal Lamagna, CEO of Tweezerman Corporation, and his trip to Iraq as a citizen diplomat. During the course of the program, he said something to the effect of 'entrepreneurs are used to going out and getting things done.' This was why he felt that he was qualified to 'get something done' about the problems in Iraq.

Although I admire Mr. Lamagna's sheer bravery for going to Iraq and for staring the problems there straight in the face, his personality couldn't be farther from mine. When I was in high school my mother had to force me to make phone calls to doctors and bankers and other adults-- in fact I didn't get over my fear of people judging me over the phone until I got a job where I was shot down over the phone multiple times each day.

But I do have definite opinions about things. And I do want to share. I create things, mostly with fiber and fabric and paper (not all at the same time... usually). So I'm putting myself out there-- open to judgment. This blog will hold farm stories and life stories and a record of my many projects (hopefully it will help me finish some of them!)

The baby hats above are from Susan B. Anderson's book Itty-Bitty Hats, made in cotton for two babies with summer birthdays. Much cuter on baby noggins than on my side table!

No comments: