Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thistles

I've been writing this post in my head for a week. My friend didn't make it home. We weren't ever particularly close, but we knew each other for a long time. The last time I saw her was a couple of years ago-- she was hunting the socks off of an ex-racehorse, galloping away in front of me.

I think what has made my heart heaviest about this terrible event (besides of course the facts and the violence) is that this was a girl who lived her life to the fullest, cheerfully true to herself always. Her positive attitude and peace with herself drew others to her.


The last few mornings, I've woken early, before the baby, to the sound of birds. Lots of them. Talking to each other, greeting the new day. And then the baby chirps from the next room and I rise and we start all over again.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Louise, I'm so sorry. My thoughts will be with her friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Louise. In the cosmos, she knows you loved her, she knows she's missed. I believe this.
Mama